English Plus Film-making
Are you a cinema-addict? Learn English in Los Angeles, the world’s film capital! You'll be able to watch your favorite films and TV series in English and discover all the secrets of film-making.
This English course will allow you to improve your language skills while studying script-writing, acting, contemporary film and production, as well as learning how to use professional digital editing software. Explore the film industry by meeting all the interesting guests invited by the school (actors, directors, etc.) and visit iconic film locations and studios.
Kings Los Angeles offers transfer agreements with both the New York Film Academy and the LA Film School.
The English + Film-Making program lasts for 12 weeks and starts at fixed dates.
From June to August, a short, 4-week English PLUS Film program is also available, as well as a less intensive Vacation Plus Film course. Please contact us for further information.
12-week English + Film studies & Film-making program
This 12-week program consists of 28 lessons per week, including 20 film-based English language lessons and 8 lessons on cinema, TV, and popular culture. Students are also expected to spend a minimum of 4 hours per week on practical course-related work. Together with developing your overall language, practical and creative skills, the following film studies subjects are covered. Students will be assessed on their language level to determine which modules will be suitable for them.
English + film lessons
Lessons will cover the following:
- Screenwriting: structuring a story, developing concepts, video storytelling methods, script creation
- The basics of acting: role preparation techniques, acting within a frame, acting within a shot size, body and language expression
- Film Production: camera techniques, cinematic framing, sound and lights
- Post-production: video editing and best practices, sound editing
- Modern filmmaking: the history of Hollywood — the film industry, from major productions to independent films
- The creation of a short film and handling screening events (12 week course only)
Cinema, TV and popular culture lessons
- Theory of media: scene breakdown, topics and concepts
- Group analysis: classic and modern movies, television shows and the theatre
- LA culture, history, and its importance to the movie industry
- Pop culture, celebrities and references in the media
- Acting, role-play and improvisational practice
- Small-scale scriptwriting and skits
English + Film-making (summer short course)
We also offer a shorter version of the English+ Film-Making course, which lasts for 4 weeks and allows participants to experience this program in a more condensed way.
Our summer program combines English classes with an introduction to film production, in the very heart of Hollywood!
Two options are available, which both include English classes with a focus on film:
- Standard (20 lessons per week, available without a student visa)
- Intensive (20+8 lessons per week
Both options follow a cycle of pre-production, production, and post-production theory and practice and include practical scene shoots.
To find out more about the school, accommodation options, dates and prices for this exclusive program contact us.