Sabbatical year, Gap Year, Long stay: South Africa
To take part in this volunteer programme you should expect to be at level B1 (minimum level required) in English. We recommend you start the programme with a 2-week (or longer) English course. You will then start working as a volunteer in one of the rewarding positions available to you for four weeks up to six months. The whole programme (course + volunteer work) lasts for a total of two to seven months.
Examples of volunteering projects in Cape Town:
Community-based projects include helping at St Joseph’s Home for children suffering from chronic diseases, the Red Cross hospital, daily football training in schools, gardening in a clinic for AIDS patients, etc.
Animal-based projects allow you to take part in the rehabilitation and care of wild or domestic animals, such as African elephants, big cats, penguins, or birds of prey.
Please note: for volunteer projects taking place outside of Cape Town, participants will be charged ZAR 300 per week for transportation.
- Minimum age: 18
- Tourist visa for up to three months, possibility to extend it on site
- Recommended 4-week English course
- Minimum English level: B1
- CV and questionnaire completed in English
- Cover letter indicating the preferred field of activity and the volunteer's ambitions