Japanese schools in Kyoto
Our partners in Kyoto have been carefully selected and are fully accredited language schools with extensive experience in welcoming international students. These schools offer Japanese courses for a range of levels – from beginner to upper intermediate –, which are instructed by qualified and native-speaking teachers, and allow students to make rapid progress in their learning while they also discover Japan’s unique culture.
Why study Japanese in Kyoto?
- Despite it being one of the biggest cities in Japan with a population of almost 1.5 million, Kyoto can actually feel like a small town – perfect for those who want to largely avoid tourist hotspots and really get to know daily life in Japan
- Kyoto captures the essence of the olden Japanese ways to perfection: you’ll find over 2000 temples and shrines, elaborate gardens, long-established teahouses and exquisite, traditional cuisine on a stroll through its streets
- Kyoto’s location at the heart of the Kansai region makes it a great base for exploring the area: tranquil and historical Nara is only a 55-minute train ride away, while a one-hour train ride will take you to Shiga Prefecture with its famous Lake Biwa and Hikone-jō
- Other major Japanese cities are also easily accessed from Kyoto, with Osaka, Kobe and Hiroshima all reachable under an hour on the train
- You’ll find it hard to get bored in Kyoto – from the famous Fushimi-Inari Taisha Shrine and the 131 metres of Kyoto Tower to the amazing little restaurants in the Gion district, there is plenty to see and do!
- Events also abound in Kyoto and you’ll have many opportunities to attend all sorts of festivals of light, geisha performances, street parades and traditional district celebrations
Frequently asked questions about studying Japanese in Kyoto
What are the advantages of learning Japanese in Kyoto?
Kyoto is a big city with a small-town feel to it, which makes it easy to meet people in different contexts and live new experiences. In a nutshell: Kyoto is a perfect destination to really immerse in both the culture and the language without anything ever getting repetitive.
What will I do on my Japanese course in Kyoto?
Japanese courses in Kyoto are varied, which means you’ll be able to really customise your learning experience! Standard Japanese courses focus on general language skills such as grammar, speaking, reading, listening or writing, and you can add to this by going for extra conversation or culture lessons.
Why choose ESL to study Japanese in Kyoto?
At ESL, we want our students to enjoy the same love for languages and travel that we’ve always had. We want to assist you in achieving your language goals while you live new experiences and make unforgettable memories! Our courses offer:
- High-quality tuition at our accredited and carefully selected partner schools
- Free, personalised advice, as well as individual support and assistance throughout your language journey
- The opportunity to live the language and the culture you’re interested in through full immersion